September 20, 2013

Honestly Why!?

I used to call myself a lover of all things vintage. I've recently had to change this to 'MOST' things vintage. These adds from the 1940s-1950s have really thrown a curve ball at my mid century love affair. What is happening in these images!?

I cant even comprehend why any advertising company would think that demonic looking, slimy, smug faced, creepily happy children shoveling food in their faces would sell products!? Also why are those kids so hideously stoked about what they're being served? Jam on bread and baked beans are definitely not meals to loose your shit over.

Okay okay, calm down you might be thinking. 'It's just how things were back in the day' you might say? Well do me a favour please. Take a good long look at the boy eating out of the baked beans can and imagine you wake up in the night and he's standing next to your bed looking at you just like that. Now imagine the gross spoon he's holding is a knife........

 photo one.jpg
 photo PicMonkeyCollage2.jpg
 photo PicMonkeyCollage3.jpg

I might also add that on my quest for these little creeps I also came across the most sexist, racist and down right wrong adds from this time! What the hell were our Grandparents up to? Maby I should do a series?

Okay Rant Over :)

2 comments:

  1. Advertisements using African-Americans during this time and prior were even worse. Perhaps it was the 'mad men' era that made ads more slick and modern. Yeah it's creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so know what ones your talking about! They're appalling! Make's me so relieved we don't live in a society where things like that are 'normal' any more. At least these ones are just funny and slightly disturbing :)

      Delete